Monday, December 30, 2013

You Weren't Supposed to Know



This piece of work seems to me to be a unique blend of alienated attractions.  On the one hand, the film is going to be mostly enjoyed by a younger generation than the Smashing Pumpkins fans who, like me, have a dated coming-of-age story of our own.  That's why it took me a couple of years before I even watched the movie.  I haven't the attention span, nor the type of friends keeping me well informed of the pop culture going on.  These differences in taste and generations, no doubt, will leave a rift flowing between the uninformed and any phenomena to to be experienced.

Even Pumpkins fans have moved on to a certain degree.  It's a given, no matter how great an album is, it's easy to wear it out, and I wouldn't expect anyone to be looking for this to suddenly rise out of the moist graves of the 90's because of a trippy flick characterized as a live video game.  The movie is a blindside any associating fan base of the Pumpkins.  Although I find it interesting that just after finding out this hidden movie game, there has been a certain revival of their "exclamation mark" alt-rock juggernaut.



I don't know if this means there will be a new upsurge for the pumpkins, but Wright's experiment definitely adds some interesting new flavor to the pallet.  Watching a reenactment of Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is fucking crazy.  The way the director associates the visual with the audio is so esoteric at times, you feel like the emotions are forming words in a language of impulse.  I have trouble differentiating the two from each other now.  When I hear a MCIS song, I think of Scott Pilgrim fighting for his life.

Edgar has managed to make a story out of the album, that's the bottom line.  He immortally disguised this film triumph however, and its a wonder that it even exists.  It's simplified organization, jutting up against a cocky decisive move, creating an inflexible code for a feature that has a strange breadth of land to cover.

You see kids, dear Edgar picked a big twist of track... did I say track? I mean fate... to chunk his melodrama into.  It's a cypher wrapped up in an enigma, and considering which accidental circumstances that must crop up to be able to detect such hidden treasures... well, that's to be debated.  In this case, it has to do with a screwed up meta-tag because, yes, I downloaded the album because, yes, I already bought it five times probably.



You're not gonna believe this, but Scott feels like a RAT IN A CAGE
You can play Bullet With Butterfly Wings to this video and see for yourself

I cut this clip EXACTLY 8 seconds before where the 00:00 mark of the song should be.
In other words, when the video hits 0:08, that's the time to play the song.
I would do it for you myself, but EMI doesn't like it when you upload their copyrighted stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment